Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Pregnancy: 27 weeks 2 days
Total weight gain: 9 Kilos (although last time I weighed myself at night, and this time I weighed myself first thing in the morning)
Baby size (approx): 24cm (9.45in) head to bum (excluding legs)
Baby weight (approx): 910g (2lbs) (although all the books differ a little on this figure)

I like surprises, Aaron bringing me fresh strawberries, or making me a showbag for Easter, etc, but there are some surprises that I would really rather not get. I had my check up with the midwives at the hospital on Thursday, and SURPRISE had to have blood drawn. Now, surprise blood draws are certainly not my idea of a good time, and I was none too impressed. In the future, I would like to be warned about upcoming needles so I can prepare myself for them mentally (I HATE needles). They had to test me to see if I had antibodies to the Rh factor (as my blood is a negative blood type which only about 10% of the population has). I knew that I would be needing a shot of anti-D, but was never told they first had to test my blood. Rude! So most of you are probably wondering what on earth I am talking about. If a pregnant woman has a negative blood type, chances are her baby has a positive blood type (as 90% of the population does). If the baby's blood somehow gets into the mothers blood stream (which can happen during pregnancy, but mostly happens during birth), the mothers blood attacks the baby's and the baby can become very anemic. That is why at 28 weeks you need an anti-D injection (which makes it so that your blood does not attack baby's), and then again at 30-something. Did I mention that I hate needles?

Aaron and I did find a new place to rent. It has 2 bedrooms, a giant laundry room (you know you are getting old when you get excited about a giant laundry room), dishwasher (I hate washing up by hand), carspace (not so easy to find around here), and even a little outdoor bit with a table and 2 chairs and a small patch of grass that the piggies can munch on. We move on the 28th of April, and are very excited. We are going to get the car back this weekend (which means I have to learn how to drive a manual...), and I'm going to start packing today, with the boxes I found downstairs in very good condition.

Last night I woke up at 3:30 (well, I woke up before that to pee, and also many other times to turn over, but I don't know what time it was) to Mushi doing what felt like a full gymnastics routine in my womb. Then the annoying happened, I got a leg cramp and was faced with a dilemma: do I get up and interrupt gymnastics practise so I can soothe my leg, or grin and bear it for a while so Mushi can finish practice? I tried to calm my leg whilst in bed so as not to interrupt Mushi's gymnastics marathon (he doesn't like to move around much when I'm standing up, and especially not when I'm walking. I tend to rock him to sleep), but my silly cramp could not be contained. I still waited for a while until Mushi seemed to be finishing up, then I got up and walked laps around the living room and stretched my leg for a while. Finally the cramp went away and I could go back to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment