Sunday, July 26, 2009

Time since birth: 3 weeks 1 day
Total weight loss: don't know, keep forgetting to weigh myself before eating
Weight loss this week: see above

I'm starting to get used to middle of the night feeds, posseting (spit up/baby vomit), crying, etc. You're in the hospital for 2 nights (some people are there for only one, or none!), then you go home, and really have no idea what you're doing. I have to admit, I called the midwives at the hospital at night more then once when I was still "under their care" (which was until Hannah was a week old) to ask questions. The charts all say baby poo is yellow, what if it's green? I call and ask. I think I'm just a paranoid mom. Is it ok that she only sleeps for 12 hours in a 24 hour period (it is for now, call back if it doesn't improve)? Is that going to affect her development (no, the average 16-18 hours sleep per day is an average, some babies sleep for 10 hours, others 20, depends on the baby)? Is it ok that she poops about 10 times a day, a lot of the really small little poops (yes, some babies poop after every feed, some do just a couple of big poops, everybody poops!)? She gets the hiccups a lot, is that normal (yes, and it doesn't bother infants apparently, although Hannah doesn't seem to like them much)? She gets a lot of wind, is it ok to use infacol (wind drops for babies that bind all their wind together so they can easily get it up in one big burp/fart. And yes, it's fine to use it does not harm them one little bit)? How do I know when one boob is empty (still not really 100% sure on that one...)? The lump in my boob has exploded to about 5 times the size that was, is that due to hormones (probably, but I will have an ultrasound on it again just to be sure. Then if it looks dodgy, I will have another biopsy. I had one a year ago, and it was just a fibroadenoma, which is benign. I think my body just likes to make lumps and tumours to scare me)? They probably think I'm a pest calling so often. But you know what? We just want the best for our baby, and want to make sure we are doing everything right.

Grandma gave me a book a number of months ago called "What to Expect When The First Year." I just started reading it, and found that I'm normal. I'm not the only one that goes into baby's bedroom to look at baby while she is sleeping just to make sure she is breathing. I'm not the only one who worries that I'm not making enough milk, or that she is not getting enough milk. Apparently pretty much every mother on the face of the earth does these things, which probably means that a lot of mothers call the midwives at the hospital to annoy them with questions like I did. The book answers a lot of questions, and has a month by month what to expect. I highly recommend it.

The other night, I woke up to the sound of crying on the baby monitor. I wasn't feeling particularly hot, but I thought I must have been, as I was sweating between my boobs. It took me a bit to realise that it wasn't sweat at all, my let down (when the milk starts flowing) has decided to not wait until Hannah starts sucking, but instead starts when she cries. I had milk all over my chest. Lucky I bought a few boxes of breast pads before Hannah was born.

I have a special chair in Hannah's room that I feed her in (except sometimes during the day I feed her on the couch now that I'm skilled enough to do so). It's a gliding rocking chair, with a boomerang pillow that I put on my lap to lay Hannah on so I don't have to actually hold all of her weight. I lay her on her side on the pillow, across me, with her mouth on the chosen boob. One day, after feeding her, I noticed she had a wet patch on the front of her onesie, off to one side. How in the world did she wet herself there?? I could understand it a bit if she were a boy, maybe it was pointing there when laying on his side or something, but a girl? At the next night feed, it happened again. How in the world are you doing this, little one? That is when I realised that when feeding on one side, the other side leaks. She didn't wet herself at all, I wet her! I don't particularly like wearing a bra to bed, so now I just put a breast pad between me and Hannah during the night feeds. Problem solved, no more wet Hannah Banana.

Friday I met with some of the girls from my antenatal class (and a couple of the husbands were there too as they had not yet gone back to work). We (girls) decided that we want to meet up regularly and go for pram walks (a walk while pushing babies in prams) and lunch. I decided (ok, Hannah's tummy decided) that would be the perfect time to try feeding in public. I don't really want to be one of those "hi, here's my boob" people, so how do you do it discreetly? We all went to the local cafe, but they seemed none to happy to accommodate us and didn't even try to help us move tables so we could all sit together and have room for our prams (even though they didn't have any customers at the time, and would have gotten a nice chunk of change since there were quite a few of us), so instead we went to the pub. Hannah decided before we arrived that it was meal time, so I had to do it. It was quite awkward at first. I got one of the girls to hold up a cloth while I attached Hannah, but when you have to do it a few times (she likes to be burped a few times during each feed), that is just not practical. On the other hand, I didn't really want everyone to see my boob and nipple, so what do you do? I tried to do the cloth thing myself (throw it over your shoulder, try to attach baby), but how do you see what you are doing? That didn't work. I finally decided the best way is to bring baby to boob, then when baby's head is blocking view of boob, that is when you pull up your shirt. Before you bring baby's head to boob, unhook feeding bra so all you need to do when baby is blocking view of boob is pull up shirt, and bam, baby is on nipple, and unless someone was really trying to see and at the right angle (like sitting right next to you), no one will see your goodies. At least I don't think they will. I feel a lot more comfortable with the whole thing now. The build up was nerve wracking, you just have to do it.

We still haven't taken Hannah to very populated places (like shopping centres) (she has only been for walkies around where we live, to the pub for lunch, bible study, and church). Maybe we are being over protective, but we are afraid of taking her where lots of people are because we don't want her to get their germs. Swine flu is on the prowl, we don't want our little Hannah Banana to get swine flu! We decided that when she is 6 weeks old, then we will start taking her out. Her little immune system is just not ready for the world yet (or our silly brains, one or the other).

The linea nigra (line going down the centre of my belly) is supposed to go away after birth, but I wonder how long it takes. Mine is still there, loud and proud. It does look rather odd, with no big pregnant belly to accompany it. It hasn't even remotely faded. I still can't fit my butt into my pre pregnancy jeans (which fit me with the belly belt until the last couple of months of pregnancy when my butt seemed to expand), yet I am quite small, so I must have been really small before. And I always thought I had a big bum. I suppose I've just gotten bigger all over, so you don't really notice that I'm bigger then before I was pregnant (it's in proportion is what I'm trying to get at. I don't make a lot of sense, must be lack of continuous sleep).

One night, I awoke to something touching me. As I woke up more, I realised I was being patted. Aaron was patting me like you pat a baby. Rhythmically, gently, patting my hip (I was on my side). He must have been dreaming about holding Hannah because he was fast asleep. I grabbed his hand and held it against my hip. I got some nonsense, not actual words asleep garbledy goop in response.

Everyone tells us how cute little Hannah is. People even say she looks like a doll. I may be biased, but she certainly is cute! I may be weird, but I often just look at her while she is feeding, or sleeping on my shoulder, and marvel at how absolutely cute she is. Her little face is just perfect. When she gets an upset tummy (wind), I wish I could just take away her pain so she never has to feel it. I want to protect her from everything. I guess that's just being a Mom.

1 comment:

  1. hi sheri, aaron and Hannah!
    omg she's big now and she is soooooo very cute!!!! she looks like a little baby doll :)
    katharine xx

    ReplyDelete