Monday, March 1, 2010

Mum Mum








"Achoo!" Aaron called me from the bedroom "Boo, you have to come see this!" I went in and looked at Hannah. A giant snot bubble was coming out of her nose. Poor baby. At the same time though, I had a little laugh, and got out the camera. I had to document her first grossly hilarious snot bubble. Hannah has been a bit sick since last Saturday. She got a cold, probably from one of the kids in creche. I took her to the doctor last Saturday just to make sure it wasn't an ear infection or anything (I can never be too careful with my little baby!), as she also had a fever. They said it was just a cold. She woke up numerous times every night since her poor little nose was blocked. Babies only breathe through their noses, so they get quite distressed when it's blocked. Needless to say, I'm in a state of zombie-ness. I didn't write last week, due to said zombie-ness, and well, I really couldn't be bothered. Hannah gave me, Aaron, Grandma, and The Jess her cold, so when she was sleeping, I was sleeping. Blogging just seemed like entirely too much effort. She still has her cold. I think it's getting better though. She doesn't seem to be coughing as much, and I haven't had to wipe her nose all the time. We borrowed a vapouriser from someone at Church (thank you Beth!!!!!!), which really really helped her night sleeping. The first night, she only woke to feed once, which was a vast improvement on the 5+ times she had been waking due to a blocked nose. I think I need to invest in one of those. So worth it!

I was supposed to take Hannah to Tresillian (place to get help with baby sleeping problems http://www.tresillian.net/) on my birthday (hey, I wasn't about to turn down the earliest appointment they had, even if it was for my birthday), but they called one morning and asked if I could come in. Sure I had to hurry and shower, get Hannah ready, get our lunches ready, nappy bag, toys, sleeping stuff, etc., but I wanted to nip this non napping crisis in the bud asap, so I said yes. I won't lie, it was really hard. The whole idea is controlled crying; teaching Hannah to put herself to bed. Sometimes she does the "I'm gonna die" cry (where it certainly sounds like if I don't come in right then, she will die), which rips my heart out. They told me that if that is what gets me in there, then that is what she has learned gets me in there. She isn't hungry, hot, cold, wet, etc when she does it, so it's not anything to worry about. The plan consisted of first waiting 15-20 minutes after I put her down for her nap to let her try to put herself to sleep (even if she is crying, I don't go in), then if she is crying, go in, lay her down (she is usually standing), pat her back (she sleeps on her tummy) and settle her down, and stay for a while, then go, and come back every 5 minutes or so. It took her 35 minutes to sleep the first time, and she slept for 1 hour. Much better then the 15 minutes she was doing before. Oh, and I can't feed her to sleep anymore. Ok, this time, I really won't give in, I will not feed her to sleep anymore. For her second nap of the day, she didn't nap at all. We tried for an hour and a half, but got nothing except ear piercing cries. Poor Bubba.
I also had to make a bedtime routine, and stick to it every single time. Our new routine is: put sleeping bag on, give her a cuddle, sit her in her cot, read her a story, lay her down, put the blinds down and turn the sleepy music on, stroke her hair and say "sleepy time," turn the light off and exit the room. The first couple of days were pretty hard, but they are supposed to be. Now for her naps, I'm happy to report that she goes to sleep within 5 minutes, but usually within 1, and if she cries, it's only a weak little protest cry, then she is out. Sigh of relief. Nights aren't going so well, but I'm pretty sure that is just because of her cold. It has been taking an hour or more to get her to sleep at night then she has been waking and waking (except for the last few nights when we borrowed the vapouriser). As I said though, I'm pretty sure that is just her nose giving her grief. Why is it that when you have a cold, the stuffy nose seems way worse at night??

Hannah would like everyone to know that she is a little Aussie (for those Americans reading this, that is pronounced Ozzy, like Ozzy Osbourne) girl. Aaron was eating vegemite toast one morning when, as usual, Hannah crawled over and looked at him with those "Daddy, you know you want to give me what ever it is that you are eating" eyes. I said she could try some vegemite toast. I thought for sure she'd absolutely hate it, but to my surprise (and bewilderment), she loved it. I think she would have eaten Daddy's entire toast if he let her.

There is one thing that all moms can't wait to hear - when your little one says Mum, Mama, Mum Mum, or the like, for the very first time. I was feeding Hannah her lunch when out of the blue, she said Mum. clear as day, not a "what did you just say" kind of thing, there was no question that she said Mum. I don't know if she knows what it means (I would like to delude myself to say that she does), but she certainly knows it gets my attention. If I'm in the kitchen and she is in the living room, she will crawl over to the makeshift barricade I made (two blown up thermarest mattresses across the doorway, one side held in place by the couch, the other with a vacuum cleaner, reinforced with a chair in the middle of the door way to prevent the bust ins that were happening), stand up, look at me, and yell "Mum!" How can I not give her a cuddle or a smile or play with her when she does that? Every time she says Mum I'm pretty sure my smile gets a little wider. I better watch out or I will end up looking like a demented clown or something. She also said bum this morning. I suppose that was bound to happen when she says Bubba and Mum all the time. Put them together, and what do you get? Bum. Hahahaha, bum is so much funnier when it's a baby saying it!

And yes, it is my birthday this week. Happy birthday to me. I'm getting old.

To finish off, here is a little rant, as it annoys me every time.
Dear newspaper publishers: Why must you put staples in your newspapers? Do you like to unnecessarily contribute to depleting the worlds steel supply? I can't figure out the purpose to using staples to bind together your newspapers which already stay together as they have a nice fold right down the centre. Do you like to spend money unnecessarily on staples? Pay for unnecessary machines to put said useless staples in your newspapers? "Can I read the sports section?" someone asked me. "Sure," I wasn't reading it, and sharing is caring. "Oh wait, sorry, I can't pull out the sports section because this silly newspaper is STAPLED TOGETHER." Why don't I just pull the section off? I would, but you use unnecessarily large staples which fail to free sections of paper when you pull at them. Instead, half of the page is torn away, the other half still sticking unnecessarily to the big stupid unnecessary staple. Why don't I just pull the staple off? Sounds easy enough, but we're not talking about normal easy to pull off normal sized staples, we are talking about unnecessarily large nail breaking, finger poking, don't want to unbend staples. "Hey, want to put some newspaper through the shredder to make some guinea pig bedding?" "Great idea. Oh wait, we can't, it will kill the shredder because it's STAPLED TOGETHER!" What were you thinking newspaper publishers?

No comments:

Post a Comment